This one-hour webinar, which is part of the Hot Topics series, reviews how the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department began to apply a racial equity lens to their existing health equity work and how other agencies can get started too.
- Consider the importance of focusing on policy, systems, and environmental changes to address racism’s impacts on health.
- Identify the key strategies and objectives of the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department’s Racism, Resilience and Action Response Team.
- Summarize the Racism, Resilience and Action Response Team’s achievements after the local board of health declared racism a public health crisis and directed the health department to take specific actions to address it.
Local, state, and tribal public health professionals
Sebrena Chambers, MBA, MPA, Division Director, Strengthening Families, Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
Jahmad Canley, CEO and Senior Consultant, Potential Unleashed
- What anti-racism work is your organization currently doing? If none, what is a first step you could take to get started?
- Do you feel your organization is ready to focus on this critical work? If not, what is the biggest barrier to getting started?
- How can you and your staff begin initiating the uncomfortable conversations needed for anti-racism work?
Slides and Resources
- Slides | Slide handout (3 slides per page)
- Cliff of Good Health
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
- Achievement Checklist - Example Blank Document
- Achievement Checklist - Example Filled Document
- Health in All Policies Health Lens Analysis Tool
- Health in All Policies Racial Equity and Health Lens Analysis Tool
Live webinar attendance will be capped at 500 audience members and admission is on a first-come first-served basis. If you miss the live webinar, don't forget that recordings of all our Hot Topics in Practice webinars are available via our free e-learning portal: PH LearnLink. All registrants will receive an email reminder with a link to this month's Hot Topics recording after the webinar.