During this one-hour webinar, which is part of the Hot Topics series, Paula Kett and Betty Bekemeier will present an overview of research findings from this survey. Paula, a research scientist at the University of Washington’s Center for Health Workforce Studies, and Betty, Director of the Northwest Center for Public Health Practice, will discuss the implications of their study findings for the public health workforce and policy makers. The presentation will examine how training, education and support may need to be tailored differently for rural practitioners, and consider policies that could help build and strengthen the workforce.
- Compare and contrast the assets and training needs of rural and urban public health workers.
- Understand how COVID-19 impacted rural and urban public health workers, and evaluate how these differences may influence workforce development in both settings.
- Discuss recommendations for strengthening the capacity of our rural public health workforce.
Local, state, and tribal public health practitioners
Paula Kett, PhD, MPH, RN
Research Scientist, Center for Health Workforce Studies, University of Washington.
Betty Bekemeier, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN
Professor, Department of Child, Family and Population Health, School of Nursing, University of Washington and Executive Director, Northwest Center for Public Health Practice.
- How has COVID-19 impacted the competency differences between rural and urban public health practitioners?
- How should the findings of this study be prioritized?
- What additional research is needed to support rural public health workforce development?
- Slides | Slide handout
- PH WINS: Public Health Workforce Interests and Needs Survey | deBeaumont Foundation
- 2021 Findings | deBeaumont Foundation
- Mapping rural America’s diversity and demographic change | Brookings Institution
- PH WINS for All: The Critical Role of Partnerships for Engaging all Local Health Departments in the Public Health Workforce Interests and Needs Survey
- Resourcing Public Health to Meet the Needs of Rural America
- COVID-19 and the Rural Health Workforce: The Impact of Federal Pandemic Funding to Address Workforce Needs | UW Family Medicine
- Data for Rural Health Equity Training Series: Understanding Population Health Concepts | Communicating Effectively | Visualizing Data Stories
Continuing Education Credits
Up to 1 CPH recertification credit may be earned by viewing this webinar. Visit the National Board of Public Health Examiners to learn more.