During this one-hour webinar, which is part of the Hot Topics series, Beau Ohlgren, MSc, Jefferson County Transgender Support Group leader, and Jackie Levin, MS, RN, Patient Advocate and Transgender Care Navigator, will focus on gender-affirming care strategies implemented at Jefferson Healthcare. This rural care network has been a leader in exploring unique approaches for providing successful, equitable care to trans and gender nonconforming patients. Beau and Jackie will articulate reasons for the value of gender-inclusive care, with a special emphasis placed on inclusive care training for all staff. They’ll identify barriers within facilities that can affect trans and gender nonconforming patients and will help describe a path forward to compassionate care for all.
- Describe the value of gender-inclusive care.
- Understand the importance of gender-inclusive training for all staff.
- Identify barriers within facilities to trans and gender nonconforming patients.
- Define a path toward more gender-inclusive care within health systems.
Local, state, and tribal public health practitioners
Beau Ohlgren, MSc
Jefferson County Transgender Support
Jacqueline Levin, RN, MS, AHN-BC, NC-BC
Office of the Patient Advocate, Critical Access Hospital Jefferson Healthcare
- How does your facility put up barriers to trans and nonbinary patients?
- What steps can you take to create a more gender inclusive environment?
- Walk through your facility and examine the physical environment: who is it including, and who might it be excluding?
- Slides | Slide handout
- Jefferson County Transgender Support Group
- Transgender Care at Jefferson Healthcare
- We are Here a Jefferson Healthcare sponsored video on transgender and non-binary healthcare issues.
Continuing Education Credits
Up to 1 CPH recertification credit may be earned by viewing this webinar. Visit the National Board of Public Health Examiners to learn more.